My Recovery and Other Things You Don't Care About

The steps and stages in my recovery from surgery and the end of a six year relationship that resulting in my wonderful son

Name:
Location: Around. Honolulu mostly., Hawaii, United States

I'm an insomniac. It leads to a number of different, interesting things.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Soundtrack to my life - Part 2 - stories from Di edition

There are the songs we love and then there are the songs that have stories behind them. Songs that, if someone (Dear God, please not Michael Bay) makes a movie about you one day, will be on the soundtrack. These are some of my songs and some of my stories.

Natasha Beddingfield – Say It Again / Put Your Arms Around Me
I’m incredibly sarcastic. It’s one of my better qualities. It also means I have a tendency not to be able to easily say feely things. You know the old Jim Croce song “So I had to Say I Love You With a Song”? Shut the fuck up, I’m not that old, you just have horrible taste in music. Right. Yeah. And you listen to fucking Coldplay, so don’t go criticizing me. Anyway, yeah so I can’t say some things very easily. I do eventually grow a pair just that sometimes it doesn't quite come out right. I think I knew a few months in that whatever we had was a comfortable thing, still couldn't say it though. But when I did end up working up the nerve to say the four letter l-word to Di for the first time, I ended up quoting lyrics from two Natasha Beddingfield songs. I didn’t really mean to, it was just easy to have someone else’s words to say and thank fucking Christ I wasn’t quoting George Michael or Phil Collins. Shut the fuck up I’m not that old.

Ben E. King – Stand By Me
The only song I ever sang the relatively few times I did the karaoke thing with Di. I don’t know why. Usually I’d opt for a Jim Croce song or a cover of some old song from Michael Buble but for whatever reason this was the only song I ever sang.

Nina Gordon – Straight Outta Compton
I’m a huge fan of cover songs. Brian Ibbott you are fucking awesome. Coverville. Listen to it. Love it. But I digress. So the rap song off of N.W.A’s second album but sung by Nina Gordon, formerly of Veruca Salt. Picture a skinny white girl working “you too boy if you fuck with me. Police are going to have to come and get me off your ass” like a folk singer in a coffee house. That’s what this song is. Except that when you don’t really listen to the words, it seems like a pretty chill, mellow song. So I have this set of MP3’s that I have to relax with. Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, Robert Cray, Colin Hay, they’re in the playlist as well as Nina Gordon. Only Di made a CD from that playlist and took it with her to work. Now at the time she was caring for some guy with stage four cancer up in Kaimuki. And she takes the CD with her because sometimes the songs help her patients to relax and pass the time as well. The radio is okay but they play the same songs every forty minutes and TV is boring in the afternoons, which is when she usually works. I should note that I met this guy twice, once was his funeral. The first time I met him was right after I made this CD because of what happens next. Now keep in mind I wasn’t there so I got this story second hand but; the mix I use to relax has a lot of cover songs on it. Norah Jones’ cover of Wild Horses for example. So the guy hears Wild Horses and starts talking to Di about how he remembers his son driving him nuts playing the Rolling Stones original version of Wild Horses. So they start listening to the other songs. They’re getting into it talking about stuff, I’ve got Richard Marx on the playlist so they’re talking about the movie Princess Bride. Bunch of stuff. And then Nina Gordon comes on. This is a relatively conservative Japanese family. I think Miles Davis would sound like rap to this guy. So Nina Gordon singing “a crazy motherfucker named Ice Cube, from the gang called Niggas With Attitude” right about flips this guy out. And Di, I guess, didn’t really listen to the songs before she burned the CD so she didn’t realize what was going on until it was a little too late. So she scrambles around to try and figure out how to skip to the next track and the guy…I want to say his name was Ben, I might be wrong, I think it was B name though, sees her and says something to the effect of “don’t worry about it, let it go” so they sit there and listen to a skinny white chick do a mellow rap about shotguns and murder…..and then she calls me afterwards and the fallout from this. Well, I’m not going to go into it. Far better to let your imagination roll with it I think. Suffice to say when I did meet Ben...Bill???...Bryant???...FUCK! I swear it was a B name, we got to talking about some of the music and he’s got pretty good taste in music and he even gave me a couple of old 45’s that I can’t play because I don’t have a turntable but still it’s neat to have some old vinyl and I ended up getting together a collection of a bunch of songs, like almost 24 hrs worth and we loaded up Di’s iPod and got her a pair of speakers so they put the thing on random just let a bunch of mellower songs go through, talk some whatever. I’d love to say that one of those 45’s was the original version of the stones’ Wild Horses but that would be too awesome. Still a really neat guy and I totally got my ass kicked around for that one even though it wasn’t my fault. And it never would have happened if Veruca Salt didn't lose Nina Gordon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home