My Recovery and Other Things You Don't Care About

The steps and stages in my recovery from surgery and the end of a six year relationship that resulting in my wonderful son

Name:
Location: Around. Honolulu mostly., Hawaii, United States

I'm an insomniac. It leads to a number of different, interesting things.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Consumption v Production

I used to keep a lot of things on optical discs for storage. Old hard drive backups on DVD or backups of my audio books on CD. But I recently shelled out some cash for about half a T of external hard drive space so I'm in the process of moving all my shit from old optical discs onto the drives.

But I've noticed something with these. I see the amount of stuff I've accumulated and it surprises me how much we consume versus create. Some of this stuff, like some of the divx video and some of th emusic is stuff I haven't even bothered watching or listening to, but as I think about it, this stuff is largely made up of things I have consumed and by the sheer volume of it, if I had spent half the time consuming content as I did making it, I'd have a lot more to show for my life.

I'll admit to watching some TV daily. It's often the news or whatever is on PBS, but I do consume TV daily and I certainly don't produce much writing daily. Granted I'm not popping out Oscar caliber scripts or any shit like that, but even things like journal and blog entries I don't do daily.

There's an abundance of consumption and a dearth of production and it's disappointing. It also takes frelling forever to get the last season of Farscape from optical disc to my goddamn hard drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home