My Recovery and Other Things You Don't Care About

The steps and stages in my recovery from surgery and the end of a six year relationship that resulting in my wonderful son

Name:
Location: Around. Honolulu mostly., Hawaii, United States

I'm an insomniac. It leads to a number of different, interesting things.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

soundtrack to my life - part 4) focus on the songs edition

There are the songs we love and then there are the songs that have stories behind them. Songs that, if someone (Dear God, please not Michael Bay) makes a movie about you one day, will be on the soundtrack. These are some of my songs and some of my stories.

Sly & the Family Stone – Everyday People
Have you ever had the perfect day? And then you wanted the perfect song to go with it? The song that, no matter what, you could end your day with this song and go to sleep smiling (I mean from something other than your girlfriends obvious fake chest Jeff. Seriously dude. No. Seriously.) This is the song. This is the song that, I don’t give a shit who you are, you can be a guy behind the counter and the Dunkin’ Donuts or the guy sitting in the corporate office who keeps fucking sitting on my budget requests for gear that we actually do need to fucking buy. I don’t care who you are. This is the song. I was coming home one day from a particularly mediocre day. Nothing important happened, nothing exciting was going on, I had no plans for the rest of the day, I had no memory of anything that I really did, but this song on the MP3 player, on the walk home completely reset my mood. All I remember from the rest of that evening was getting a call from a couple of friends and drinking way too much red wine. And had it been a normal day, I probably would have turned them down. But this song totally got me in the right frame of mind. The perfect song for a perfect day.

Fisher - Wheel
So I’m watching PBS one afternoon back, oh at least a good 5+ years ago because Ryen was still little, and at the end of one of the shows, this song plays, and I need to know, I just really need to know, what the hell song is that. It’s got this little odd tune that you just can’t get out of your head, but it’s not really long enough to get any seriously identifying parts from. I mean the guitar solo’s from Stairway to Heaven this is not, but still, it’s driving me nuts. But I let it pass. A few weeks go by and again PBS, watching This Old House in the afternoon wishing they could come fix up this old apartment. And again, the song comes on and it’s stuck in my head. Again. FUCK. Alright, so now I just have to know. And I go and pull up Google and damn near draw a blank. But Google leads me to a group called Fisher (http://www.fishertheband.com/ by the way in case you’re wondering) and I find out that the song is called Wheel. So I end up buying the damn song because I figure that much like Vanilla Ice, if you get it stuck in your head, eventually you listen to it enough that it repulses you like a diseased plague rat. But no, I still, to this very fucking day, have the song Wheel sitting in a prime spot in my MP3 player and every time I hear it, it’s just as good. Much like the Beatles song I Will it’s the kind of song you can see yourself nodding your head to and smiling like a fucking idiot. Which in my case would be just about accurate.

Natasha Beddingfield – Put Your Arms around Me
There are two brief, very brief, so brief that you would need the fucking large hadron collider to detect them, periods of my life during which I considered getting married. One would have been an utter and total fucking disaster of GW Bush’s second term proportions, but the other….I like to think that might have had some promise. The nice thing, as I write this is that I know she won’t read it anyway so unless her friends point it out…and Erica, I will find out if you mention so much as a word, Di can’t keep secrets worth a damn and you know it. But I digress. Back to the song. So off of the Pocketful of Sunshine album, and I hated that goddamn song once ABC’s ad department co-opted it and I heard it every 12 minutes during primetime…first track on the album was this song. It was, for the briefest of seconds, one of the songs we considered when we talked about “the future” and. I’m not going to go much beyond that. Suffice it to say I did end up actually listening to the track until I could figure out the guitar part by ear which took some time and eventually I learned to kind of hate this song too, but in the same way that I imagine hating any song that you have to listen to over and over and over an over and goddammit ABC, how hart it is to put a little variety into your ad rotation. Right so the song. There was a point there. If you’ve ever heard the Wallflower’s cover of Into the Mystic (and it’s one of the few times I prefer a cover to the original Van Morrison) you’ll know that there are a few modern pop songs that would do well as wedding songs. This is one of them and it came up in conversation…and in proper Forrest Gump fashion, that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home